Marriage is Good Health
Benefits of Romance
Establishing positive habits
Modern Marriage Research
Marriage is good health! Research of modern marriages shows that being married is good for your health. The title of this blog is “Marriage for Good Health”. I wanted to write this blog to touch on the benefits of being married. But also to help by establishing positive habits you can adopt. Finally, what is it like to be in a relationship in the modern age? Frankly, marriages and relationships nowadays are much different than those of our grandparents. It seems to be even more different by comparison than their grandparents and generations before them as well. What is your opinion? Have you been able to take advantage of the benefits of romance?
You see romance, friendship, and sexual compatibility are high on “the list” now. Whereas in the old day’s marriage was intended primarily for economic reasons and to secure offspring. Meanwhile, it really is true Marriage is Good Health!
Author Blaine J. Fowers
The notion of romance is a modern concept and it started blossoming with the industrial growth at the beginning of the 20th century. If you want to learn more I suggest reading Blaine J. Fowers Ph.D.’ “Beyond the Myth of Marital Happiness”
Click below to visit Blaine J. Fowers’ Website
Marriage is Good Health- Divorce
Still, high divorce rates have made marriage unpopular, to say the least, however, there is a paradox that exists. Many couples are spending large amounts of money for a wedding ceremony and then, unfortunately, divorce follows sometimes not even a year later! We know people that this has happened to. Alternatively, it’s easy to see this on a daily basis in the media.
As a Licensed and Marriage and Family Therapist I’ve been noticing something lately I find very interesting. I find women specifically are expecting more from their marriage these days. This includes sexual intimacy and vitality into middle age and even well beyond. Therefore, it makes sense that being happily married also has great positive benefits for your health as well.
Marriage is good health -Findings
We see some interesting findings as a result of a study by Christine Proulx, an assistant professor in the MU Department of Human Development and Family Studies. In all stages of marriage, positive or negative relationships affect the individual’s health. Spouses should be aware that how they treat each other and how happy they are in their marriage affects both partners’ health. They should think more about their personal relationships as well when thinking holistically about their health.
Science Daily Excerpt
*from Science Daily, University of Missouri-Columbia February 13, 2013). Happily married couples consider themselves healthier, expert says.
Marriage is Good Health- Tips
So what can you do to strengthen your marriage and at the same time improve your chances for better health? To enjoy the benefits of romance here are some of my suggestions that I share with my clients during our sessions:
1. Take time for yourself. Don’t depend on your spouse to make you happy. It is imperative that you continue growing as an individual and also as a couple. There needs to be a balance between time spent apart and time together. Spending all your time together is not healthy either and creates codependency as well.
2. Discuss any issues in a marriage or relationship on a regular basis. Even better, have a weekly meeting – maybe over dinner or a glass of wine. Don’t let the small issues and irritations grow into resentments that are difficult to resolve after more time has passed. Be proactive, positive, and upbeat whenever possible.
Marriage is Good Health- Positive Habits
3. Make it a priority to continue establishing positive habits by ensuring you eat healthy food and exercise. If your schedules do not accommodate enabling you both to exercise together regularly, be sure to do something physical together at least on the weekend.
For example, the weather now in Florida is ideal for outdoor activities. As you maintain your health and vitality, you’re encouraging your partner to do the same. I would also add, don’t become too comfortable in baggy jogging pants for instance, and turn into a couch potato! The tips in the “Marriage is Good Health” Blog are meant to bring you prosperity. However, I would like people to utilize this blog for good Holistic Health as well.
Marriage is Good Health- Goals
You owe it to yourself and your partner to maintain your health. Relationships are like a plant that needs to be nourished constantly.
4. Support each other’s goals and dreams and discuss them often. This is huge!
5. Have a positive outlook on life and be sure to make it a daily habit. Take time to reflect, meditate, and write down positive affirmations. Keeping a sense of gratitude goes a long way. You will notice how even the people that annoyed you before don’t hold so much power over you anymore.
6. Laugh often and remember that life can be challenging but it can be wonderful. You just have to decide not to engage in negativity. You are the Creator of Your Life.
Healthy and Happy Relationships!
If you would like to learn more, feel free to email me or call me to schedule your FREE 15-minute initial consultation. 561 299 1028 Thank you for reading “Marriage is Good Health Blog”! Stay positive.
I work with adults only individually in my sessions. I don’t provide couples therapy although I used to. To learn more specifically about the services I provide visit the Client Services page on my website www.NaturalStressManagement.com